What is the difference between a new entrant and an experienced skilled worker? - | Hudson McKenzie

What is the difference between a new entrant and an experienced skilled worker?

December 15, 2021 | Employment, Immigration, News, UK Government

When a person applies for a Skilled Worker visa, they will be applying as either what is called a “new entrant” or an “experienced” worker. 

What is a new entrant?

According to Home Office guidance: a “‘new entrant’ means a new entrant to the labour market, in other words, someone who is near the start of their career, who meets certain criteria. It does not mean an applicant who is making their first Skilled Worker application or entering the UK for the first time.”

Therefore, an experienced worker is one who is experienced in their field or is extending their visa. In order to establish whether you are a new entrant or not, please gain legal advice. 

Who is a new entrant?

The Home Office guidance explains that a new entrant is someone who meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • An applicant who is under the age of 26 on the date they made their application.
  • An applicant who is sponsored for a postdoctoral position in one of the following occupations: 
  • 2111 Chemical scientists; 
  • 2112 Biological scientists and biochemists; 
  • 2113 Physical scientists; 
  • 2114 Social and humanities scientists; 
  • 2119 Natural and social science professionals not elsewhere classified; or 
  • 2311 Higher education teaching professionals
  • “An applicant who is working towards a recognised professional qualification in a UK-regulated profession.”
  • An applicant who is working towards full registration or chartered status with a regulatory professional body in the role they are being sponsored for.  
  • An applicant who is switching from Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) into the Skilled Worker visa. 
  • “An applicant whose most recent permission, other than as a visitor, was under Tier 4 (General) or the Student route.” 

What is an experienced worker?

In simple terms, an applicant may be able to apply for a Skilled Worker visa as an “experienced” worker when they do not fit one of the above requirements. 

The difference between a new entrant and an experienced skilled worker is the salary requirement. New entrants will be paid 30% less than the experienced worker rate in any occupation. Although, the minimum salary that can be paid to a new entrant is £20,480. 

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at londoninfo@hudsonmckenzie.com or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.

The information provided does not amount to legal advice.