What are “quarantine hotels”?
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, the UK government has put in place “quarantine hotels” for those travelling into the UK. From 15th February 2021, all those allowed to enter England who have travelled through or from a country in the last 10 days where travel to the UK is banned (red list countries) must quarantine in a managed quarantine hotel.
Who has to go into a managed quarantine hotel?
There are stringent measures in place for those travelling from “red list” travel destinations. In fact, people who have passed through a country where travel to the UK is banned, also known as a “red list” country cannot enter the UK. The only exceptions are British nationals, Irish nationals and people with residence rights in the UK.
Therefore every British or Irish national and those with residence rights coming from a red list country (or has passed through a red list country in the last 10 days) will need to quarantine in a managed quarantine hotel unless exempt.
After arriving into England, travellers must quarantine for 10 days and the first day is counted as day zero. On arrival, they will be quarantined in the hotel room and all meals will be provided.
Guidance states that before arriving to the UK you must:
- take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel
- book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine
- complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package booking reference number
How much is a quarantine hotel?
- Rate for 1 adult in 1 room for 10 days (11 nights) = £1750
- Additional rate for 1 adult (or child over 12) = £650
Which countries are currently on the “red list”?
These stringent rules have been introduced to try to stop the spread of new variants. Those countries on the red list include the following:
- Cape Verde
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- French Guiana
- Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores)
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at email@example.com or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.
The information provided does not amount to legal advice.