Temporary Seasonal Worker visa requirements - | Hudson McKenzie

Temporary Seasonal Worker visa requirements

November 17, 2021 | Business, Employment, Immigration, News

A seasonal worker visa is a temporary visa for those who need to do specific jobs in the UK. This includes those who work in “edible horticulture” picking fruit or vegetables, pork butchery, poultry work and HGV drivers. 

Deadlines for applying for seasonal worker visas:

  • Poultry workers– You must have applied for the seasonal worker visa as a poultry worker before 15th November 2021. Poultry workers can stay in the UK until 31st December 2021.
  • Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) drivers– You must apply for the seasonal worker visa as a HGV driver before 1st December 2021. HGV drivers can remain in the UK until 28th February 2022.
  • Pork butchery workers– You must apply for the seasonal worker visa as a pork butchery worker before 31st December 2021. Pork butcher workers can remain in the UK for up to 6 months. 
  • Edible horticulture workers– You can apply for the seasonal worker visa as an edible horticulture worker at any time and can remain in the UK for up to 6 months. 

In order to be eligible under this visa route you must be 18 or over, have a certificate of sponsorship from a UK sponsor and must be able to support yourself in the UK. 

A certificate of sponsorship (CoS) is provided by a company that sponsors you to work under one of the above job roles. A reference number will be generated once your sponsor applies for the CoS which you will need to use when completing the visa application form. The CoS is valid for 3 months starting from the day it is assigned to you. 

In order to show that you are able to support yourself in the UK, you must confirm that you have at least £1,270 in your bank account which you have maintained for at least 28 days. Alternatively, your sponsor can meet the maintenance requirement and will need to confirm this on the CoS if they are willing to do so. 

Occupational codes

HGV drivers

  • heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers to transport food goods – large goods vehicle (occupation code 8211)

Poultry workers with an on-farm or off-farm poultry

  • butcher (occupation code 5431)
  • bird or game dresser (occupation code 5433)
  • killer and plucker (occupation code 5433)
  • plucker (occupation code 5433)
  • poulterer (occupation code 5433)
  • poultry processor (occupation code 5433)
  • poultry sticker (occupation code 5433)
  • trusser (occupation code 5433)
  • food operative (occupation code 8111)
  • poultry catcher or handler (occupation code 9111)
  • poultry vaccinator (occupation code 9119)
  • poultry meat packer (occupation code 9134)

Pork butcher

  • pork butchers (occupation code 5431)

Edible horticulture

Means those growing:

(i) Protected Vegetables – those grown in glasshouse systems

(ii) Field Vegetables – those grown outdoors, including vegetables, herbs, leafy salads and potatoes

(iii) Soft Fruit – those grown outdoors or under cover e.g. in glasshouses or polytunnels. Includes strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blueberries and all ribes and rubus species

(iv) Top Fruit (Orchard Fruit) – trees that bear fruit e.g. apples, plums, cherries, apricots; or

(v) Vine and Bines – both twining or climbing flexible stems of certain plants, e.g. hops is a bine, and grapes is a vine

(vi) Mushrooms – typically covers Agaricus bisporus species but can also include more exotic species (typically grown indoors)

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at londoninfo@hudsonmckenzie.com or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.

The information provided does not amount to legal advice.