Living in the EU post Brexit - | Hudson McKenzie

Living in the EU post Brexit

The number of UK nationals living in the EU is said to amount to around 1.3 million. The UK government has published guidance for UK citizens planning to live in each EU member state post brexit.

For UK nationals planning on staying in an EU country for more than 3 months, immigration rules apply depending on the country. Additionally, it should be noted that UK nationals can travel throughout EU countries as visitors, however, in many cases, when travelling to an EU country, you must have at least 6 months left on your passport.

For those people already living in the EU and have been since before 1st January 2021, they can benefit from broadly the same rights as before Brexit. Although this should be checked, as in some countries, you must re-register for the relevant immigration document.

What are the rules for UK nationals living in the EU?

The immigration rules vary depending on which country you plan to live in and the local laws will be applicable. Here are some examples:

  • Living in Spain: You should register both on the central register of foreign nationals and on the local register of the town hall. People will need to apply for what’s called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE) which is an ID document confirming your right to live in Spain. Applications should be made to the foreign office within the town you are living.
  • Living in Germany: Within 14 days of arriving, you must register with the local registration office, which has different names locally such as Einwohnermeldeamt, Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Bürgerbüro or Bürgeramt. You will need to obtain a residence document called: Aufenthaltsdokument-GB. 
  • Living in Cyprus: If you plan to live in Cyprus for more than 3 months, you should register for temporary resident status with the Ministry of the Interior.
  • Living in Ireland: Under the Common Travel Agreement (CTA) UK nationals can live and work in Ireland without a permit.
  • Living in Italy: Italy has introduced a new Biometric residence document. To apply for this document, you must book an appointment at your local immigration office at the police headquarters (called questura). 

The information provided does not amount to legal advice, if you require legal advice on this matter please contact one of our professionals at Hudson McKenzie. 

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.