Can I work remotely in the EU without a work permit? - | Hudson McKenzie

Can I work remotely in the EU without a work permit?

November 25, 2021 | Employment, Immigration, News, Travel

Since Brexit, UK nationals now have to apply for work permits if they want to live and work in an EU country. If you are a remote worker, meaning you earn your own income and can travel and work from any location, you may not be eligible for a work permit, but you are also not classed as a tourist. This poses the question, how can I work remotely legally in the EU?

What can you do in the EU as a tourist?

As a UK national visiting the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein. You can stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. Before travelling to the EU as a tourist, visitors should check with each individual country to verify what is and is not permitted as a tourist. 

Remote visas in the EU

If you are wanting to work remotely in the UK but are not eligible for a work visa, you may be able to apply for a remote work visa as some member states have such available. Here is a selection of some of the most attractive remote worker visas in the EU:

  • Germany: The German freelance visa or Freiberufler visa allows remote workers to stay for up to 3 months in Germany. You must show that you have at least 10,332 Euros in your bank account to support yourself in Germany and have at least 3 freelancing contracts. You should also secure health insurance and proof of accommodation in Germany such as a rental agreement. 
  • Estonia: In June 2020 Estonia announced a digital nomad visa for freelancers and remote workers which allows people to stay in Estonia for up to 1 year. In order to be eligible, you must earn the equivalent of 3504 Euros per month. You must prove that you received this income during the 6 months prior to making the application. 
  • Portugal: Portugal does not have a specific digital nomad visa, however the most suitable visa for those who can work independently and make their own income is the D7 visa. The D7 visa allows people to stay in Portugal for 2 years. In order to be eligible, applicants must make at least 7200 Euros per year which equates to around 665 Euros per month. You must provide evidence of travel insurance and proof of accommodation in Portugal. 
  • Greece: The requirements are that applicants must be able to work remotely using telecommunications either for a home employer or self-employed. Applicants must earn a monthly income of 3500 Euros and produce a contract if employed, stating that employment activities are not performed in Greece. Similarly, a personal statement must be signed which outlines that the applicant will not seek work in Greece. The permit is valid for 1 year and can be extended for a further 2 years maximum.
  • Norway: Norway offers a unique visa solely for remote workers wanting to live in the Svalbard Islands. This visa allows people to stay in the Svalbard Islands for an unlimited time. 

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.

The information provided does not amount to legal advice.