Who can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa? - | Hudson McKenzie

Who can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme visa?

June 24, 2021 | Immigration



A Youth Mobility visa allows people to travel to the UK to live or work for up to 2 years. This visa has replaced the Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa. You can apply for this visa if you are between the ages of 18-30 and are a national of any of the following countries:




Hong Kong



New Zealand

Republic of Korea

San Marino


British Overseas citizen

British Overseas Territory citizen

British National (Overseas)


Visa requirements


You will need to prove your nationality in demonstrating that you are from one of the above countries. It is also a requirement that you show that you are able to support yourself in the UK by showing that you have at least £2530 in savings that you have maintained in your bank account. Depending on which country you are from, you may need to also provide a Tuberculosis test certificate. 


You are able to work on this visa however you are unable to work as a professional sports person. Similarly, you can study on this visa, but only specific courses. 


You can make your application online and the decision is usually made within 3 weeks of applying. 


What happens after 24 months?


After your Youth Mobility Scheme visa expires you are unable to extend it and must return to your home country. You can return to the UK on another visa route if you are eligible, but you must apply from your home country. 


Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at londoninfo@hudsonmckenzie.com or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.


The information provided does not amount to legal advice.