When does a company need a skilled worker licence? - | Hudson McKenzie

When does a company need a skilled worker licence?

For those employers who do not believe that their business needs can be met by employing solely within the UK labour market, then you may want to consider applying for a skilled worker licence, otherwise known as a sponsor licence. 

Now that free movement between the UK and EU has ended, EU nationals who wish to come to the UK to work will need to apply for a visa. One type of working visa is the Skilled Worker visa.

Recruiting from outside of the UK for a skilled worker

Any company who wants to recruit from outside the UK will, in many cases, need to ask for permission from the UK Home Office by way of applying for a sponsor licence.

Applying for a sponsor licence consists of the following steps:

  • Check the business is eligible – there should be no unspent criminal convictions for immigration offences or other crimes such as fraud or money laundering. The company should not have had a sponsor licence revoked in the last 12 months.
  • Establish which type of licence you need to apply for- the type of licence depends on what type of worker you intend to hire. A “worker” licence will allow you to employ someone on a long term basis or permanently. A “temporary worker” licence will let you apply for temporary workers such as, for a period of 6 months or 2 years depending on the type of visa.
  • Decide who will manage sponsorship within the business- you will need to appoint somebody within the company who will take on the roles of authorising officer, key contact and level 1 user, which can be filled by the same person or different people.
  • Apply for the licence– you will need to make an online application for the sponsor licence and submit supporting documents. 
  • Pay the applicable fee- the fee for the application will depend on what type of licence you are applying for and the type of organisation the company is. 

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at londoninfo@hudsonmckenzie.com or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.
The information provided does not amount to legal advice.