What is a ROA? | Hudson McKenzie

What is a ROA?

August 16, 2018 | Immigration, Latest Thinking, News

The ‘Right Of Abode’ (ROA) means that an individual has the ‘right’ to work and live in the UK – but how does an individual obtain this right?

To be granted the ROA, an individual is required to apply for a ‘certificate of entitlement’, which shall prove that they are able to work and live within the UK.

Under the Immigration Act 1971, if an individual has a ROA within the UK, then that individual is “entirely free” from all UK immigration control. In which under section 2 of the act, all British Citizens have the ROA in the UK.

Furthermore, with a ROA, permission from an immigration officer is also not required when entering the UK, allowing an individual with a ROA to live and work without restrictions.

To obtain an ROA, an individual must obtain a ‘certificate of entitlement’, which shall be placed within their passport, so to show ROA.

To find out more about this, please click here.

If you would like to discuss this article further or have any general legal enquiries, please contact one of our highly qualified solicitors on 020 3318 5794 or via email at londoninfo@hudsonmckenzie.com