UK Ancestry Visa
Citizens from Commonwealth countries who have a grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man can apply under the Ancestry route. This visa allows them to live and work in the UK unrestricted.
An applicant can apply for an Ancestry if they are able to meet the below criteria. They are:
- A Commonwealth citizen.
- applying from outside the UK.
- are able to prove that one of their grandparents were born in the UK.
- are planning on living and working in the UK.
- are aged 17 or over.
- have sufficient funds to support themselves and any accompany dependants during their time in the UK. They cannot access public funds on this type of visa.
In addition to the above, an applicant must be able to provide evidence to satisfy one of the following requirements, that they have a grandparent born:
- In the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- Before 31 March 1922 in what is now Ireland.
- On a British-registered ship or an aircraft.
It is important to note that ancestry cannot be claimed through stepparents, however, if you were adopted or born within or outside marriage in the UK.
Benefits of Ancestry Visa
One of the main benefits is that an applicant is granted a 5-year visa from the outset and they can take up employment or study in the UK, without any restrictions. In addition to this, an applicant can change employers too, without having to go through a new immigration application.
There is no provision to switch into this visa if an applicant is already in the UK on another visa.
An applicant along with his dependant family members is able to apply for settlement after living and working in the UK for 5 years, provided they are able to satisfy the requirements. However, if for any reason they are not able to meet the settlement requirements, they have the option to extend the Ancestry Visa for a further 5-years.
To discuss the above in detail and in order for us to assess your eligibility, please get in touch with one of our UK Immigration Lawyers on +44(0) 20 3318 5794 or via email at email@example.com.