Shortage Occupation List to be reviewed
The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) has recently published its review of the Shortage Occupation List (SOL).
MAC has recommended adding several occupations to the SOL, including veterinarians, web designers and architects, and broadening others, including engineering, IT, the arts and healthcare, to include all roles within that occupation.
Other recommendations include:
- Medium-skilled occupations may become eligible for SOL in future.
- Gaelic teachers in Scotland to be included.
- Removing restriction on chef visas, which currently excludes those offering a takeaway service.
- Addition of Northern Irish and Welsh SOLs to the existing UK and Scotland lists.
What is Shortage Occupation List?
The Shortage Occupation List (SOL) lays down a list of jobs which are in short supply when hiring non-EEA nationals. Key considerations are:
- Applications for Shortage Occupation Roles roles are exempt from Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT).
- The UKVI prioritises SOL roles, in case monthly quota for Tier 2 (General) restricted CoS is reached.
- Applicants under SOL are not required to meet the minimum salary threshold of GBP 35,800 which is required for indefinite leave to remain after completing five years in the UK.
- Visa application fees for the main applicant and their dependant family members are lower.
The UK Government will consider MAC’s recommendations and respond in due course. Should you wish to discuss how the above update applies to you, please get in touch with one of our UK immigration lawyers on +44 (0)20 3318 5794 or via email at email@example.com.