New UK Student Visa and EUSS Scheme
On 5th October 2020, UKVI announced new set of changes for immigration applications, including the introduction of new visa routes under the new points-based immigration system scheduled to take place from January 2021.
Overseas students and graduates wishing to study in the UK from January 2021 can now apply for the new student visa routes that the new immigration system will proffer. These routes are available to all international students, including EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens and they can apply six months ahead of their course start dates. These routes include:
Student visa route
This route replaces the Tier 4 (General) student visa and is available for those aged 18 and over who wish to commence their undergraduate or college studies in the UK.
Applicants must demonstrate certain criteria:
- They have an offer to study on their selected course of study
- They have a respectable command of English both orally and written; and
- They have sufficient funds to pay for the course fees and financially support themselves whilst studying
Child Student visa route
This route replaces the Tier 4 (Child) student visa and is available for those aged between 4 and 17 years old who want to study at an independent school in the UK.
Applicants must show proof of the following:
- They have an unconditional offer from an independent school
- They have access to sufficient funds to pay for the school fees and financially support themselves through their studies
- Written consent from their parent or guardian to study in the UK
All overseas citizens coming to the UK after 31st December 2020 must apply and receive a decision for a visa to study in the UK. This will also apply to those beginning their courses remotely in autumn 2020. The start dates of these visas will be from 1st January 2021 onwards.
For citizens from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein already residing in the UK before 31st December 2020, both them and their families can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) if they wish to continue living in the UK after 30th June 2021.
- Charges by UKVI for visa applications or immigration related queries have been cut by 50%. This means that individuals seeking to call UKVI with their immigration matters will now be charged £0.69 per minute and emails will cost £2.74 per question asked.
- Further support has been granted for those who need technical assistance with their applications for UKVI and EUSS routes. Applicants who are not technologically savvy and require assistance with their online applications or do not have internet accessibility can benefit from Assisted Digital support for an extended two-year period.
- Although individuals can still use the UK ID Check App, UKVCAS Service Points are now open to individuals to book appointments or submit their applications. Pre-COVID-19 processes are gradually being returned to normal.
Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require legal assistance with your immigration matters, please get in touch with a professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone +44(0)20 3318 5794.