New English language requirement for partners - | Hudson McKenzie

New English language requirement for partners

November 23, 2010 | News

On 29 November 2010, the UK Border Agency has stated that a non-European national who wishes to enter or extend his/her stay as a partner of a British national or someone settled in the UK will need to show that he/she can speak and understand English.

An applicant will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. He/she will not need to demonstrate his/her reading and writing skills.

The new requirement applies to applications for entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain and further leave to remain. It does not apply to indefinite leave to remain or citizenship applications where the existing Knowledge of Life requirement continues to apply.

What do you need to do?

If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English (see below), you must pass an acceptable English language test with one of the UK Border Agency’s approved test providers.

If you have any questions regarding the above or need to understand how these changes will affect you, please send an email to one of our London immigration lawyers or at