Can I stay in the UK after I have graduated? - | Hudson McKenzie

Can I stay in the UK after I have graduated?

October 26, 2021 | Immigration, News

In short, graduates can stay in the UK if they are successful in applying for another visa. Since the Graduate route was introduced on 1st July 2021, graduates now have more options to remain in the UK.

Options as a graduate 

Graduate visa

This visa gives graduates an opportunity to live and seek work for at least 2 years on completion of an eligible course in the UK, without having to apply for a Skilled Worker visa.

Those who are eligible to apply for a graduate visa include those who currently hold a Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa, studied a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree or another eligible course for a minimum period of time with their Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa and the education provider (such as your university or college) has told them they’ve successfully completed the course.

This is an unsponsored route which means that an employer does not need to have a sponsor licence to be able to employ a worker on this visa route, meaning more flexibility for sponsors when hiring.

The Graduate route is likely to encourage more employers to take on graduates due to the lack of restrictions that sponsors are usually faced with when hiring skilled workers. 

For graduates, this route is ideal if they want to remain in the UK to gain experience working, but do not have enough experience to be able to stand out for a Skilled Worker visa. 

The downside is, this is not a route to settlement and those who want to eventually apply to settle in the UK will need to switch to a different visa that leads to settlement.

Skilled worker route

For those graduates who may have some prior experience in their field, the Skilled Worker visa is an option to remain in the UK and is a route to settlement. In order to be eligible for the Skilled Worker visa, applicants should fill a job that can be found on the eligible occupations list. 

This list is in place to make sure that a person is doing a skilled job in the UK. An employer should show that they are unable to employ a UK national or someone settled in the UK and therefore must search further afield to find someone to fill the role that they need. 

Graduates may have other options for remaining in the UK after their studies depending on their situation. 

Should you have any queries regarding the above information or if you require assistance with your corporate, employment or immigration matter, please get in touch with a legal professional at Hudson McKenzie via email at or by telephone +44(0) 20 3318 5794.

The information provided does not amount to legal advice.